I came across this blog on Tumblr this morning and I wanted to share because it is local and it is pretty funny.
Yinz Can’t Park is a Tumblr blog that shares photos of the not so great parking skills of Pittsburghers and adds some colorful commentary on each photo.
One of my favorite captions is this one (which is a little sad because the guy needed to be towed) but the commentary is pretty funny.
“This jag was trying a bit too hard to get to the Border!”
Yinz Can’t Park welcomes submissions from others as well – even those who can’t park in other states – read more here. Yinz Can’t Park also has put together some funny t-shirts, which are available from the Yinz Can’t Park Spreadshirt Shop.
If you aren’t from Pittsburgh here is a little guide to terminology from Wikipedia:
- Yinz is the most recent derivation from the original Scots-Irish form you ones, which is probably the result of contact between Irish and English.
- Jagoff or jag-off is an American derogatory slang term from Pittsburgh English meaning a person who is stupid or inept
Pittsburghers have a long tradition of taking parking seriously – especially in the snowy months. In many city neighborhoods, once a space has been shoveled out it is reserved with a parking chair. From Wikipedia:
A parking chair is a chair that is used by a vehicle owner to informally mark a parking space as reserved for oneself. Other items are also used for this purpose, including trash cans, ladders, ironing boards, and other similar-sized objects that are commonly found in households. For curbside parking spaces, two or more items are normally used.
- Does the way you park reflect your culture?? (firenzemoms4moms.wordpress.com)
- The Fort Pitt Friggin’ Bridge. (aixelsyd13.wordpress.com)
- Parking Signs, An Evolution of Parking Signs from 1910 to Present (myparkingsign.com)