In 2001, Jeff and Randy Vines decided to start an apparel company that showcased their city of St. Louis, the way they see it. They wanted to create clothing that locals would love and appreciate, so they started by printing apparel with inside jokes and references to St. Louis neighborhoods.
Over the past 10 years, STL-Style has evolved into a great and well-known local business that sells T-shirts, bags, onesies, stickers, and more. The STL-Style team turned the love they had for their place into a bustling local business and their full-time jobs. Shop STL-Style here.
A quick Q&A with Randy Vines, owner and creator of STL-Style.
1. What is your favorite thing about St. Louis?
Favorite thing about St. Louis: its built environment. They just don’t build cities like this anymore. We are lucky to have miles upon miles of solid red-brick buildings from the 19th and early 20th centuries. Old cities can always build new to keep up with emerging trends, but younger cities can never replicate the impressive historic urban fabric that this city has in spades. Gotta love the brick!
2. What are three things people shouldn’t miss when visiting St. Louis?
1) Forest Park, it’s one of the largest and most beautiful urban parks in the nation and home to numerous cultural and recreational institutions. It was also host of the 1904 World’s Fair, it’s an amazing park.
2) City Museum. No, it’s not your typical museum; it’s a whimsical wonderland of recycled architectural artifacts, hidden labyrinths and endless discovery. Anyplace that has a school bus on the roof and a bar downstairs is going to be cool.
3) Cherokee Street. This South Side commercial district is in a constant state of evolution. Once a thriving streetcar shopping corridor, the area declined during the mass exodus to the suburbs and became a seedy red-light district. Today it is home to an increasing number of Latinos businesses, artists, musicians, designers, photographers and printers. Cherokee is the de-facto creative hub of St. Louis and retains an authenticity and grittiness that gives the neighborhood a distinctive and uninhibited flavor.
3. What are you favorite St. Louis blogs?
St. Louis Patina – an award-winning blog showcasing St. Louis’s unparalleled architectural heritage.
Preservation Research Office/Ecology of Absence – architectural historian Michael Allen’s blog about the evolution of St. Louis’s built environment, with archival photos and videos that captivate any reader.
NextSTL – the grand dame of St. Louis urban design blogs.
UrbanreviewSTL – an award-winning blog about urban design, real estate, mobility and sustainability in St. Louis.
Built Environment in Layman’s Terms (B.E.L.T.) – Toby Weiss’s acclaimed blog focusing on mid-century architecture and design in the St. Louis metro area. A true homage to the good ol’ days!
NextStop STL – a blog highlighting public transit and transportation issues in and around greater St. Louis.
Visit STL Style:
3159 Cherokee St.
St. Louis, MO 63118
Tel 1: (314) 494-7763
Tel 2: (314) 761-4469
Check out our St. Louis in 10 Local Blogs post here.