I wanted to write today’s post about local shopping blogs. Tomorrow I am going to meet with the team at WebKite – which is a startup company in Pittsburgh that helps people make directories of all sorts of things. Over the holidays I had many a conversation with some friends about shopping local. And we started talking about building a directory of local businesses for Pittsburgh.
So I started researching websites about shopping local – I have found a few websites about shopping local – and if you have other suggestions for great local shopping sites – please share them here. In my research I came across this awesome blog – Shop Small – about one woman’s quest to shop small for an entire year in Alabama. I was clicking around Shop Small and discovered that the author, Carrie Rollwagen, is now writing a blog for a bookshop/coffeeshop in Alabama. The shop is called Church Street and is located in what used to be a Starbucks in Mountain Brook, Alabama. The Church Street blog is called Postscript Blog.
Inspired by Carrie and the Postscript blog here are some other local bookshops and their blogs.
- Church Street, Mountain Brook, Alabama – Postscript
- Broadway Books, Portland, Oregon – BookBroads (we learned about Broadway books from this 2009 Inc Magazine article)
- Blue Bicycle Books, Charleston, South Carolina – Blue Bicycle Books News
- Third Place Books, Lake Forest Park, Washington – Third Place Blog
- East End Book Exchange, Pittsburgh, PA – East End Book Exchange Blog (this is our local bookshop/blogger hangout – we’re working on getting the owner to blog on more frequent basis).